Friday, September 4, 2015

DIY: Twine Hanging

The perk of not having a job yet is that I get to craft all day er'day. Which is good, cause decorating an apartment is expensive! Like I knew furniture would be a chunk of money, but you don't really think about how much the little decorating stuff is.. like wall hangings, prints, side tables, rugs, etc. Who knew? Therefore, I am planning on DIYing a lot- cause really you can save so much money if you just do things yourself. 

Now that we have a bed, I decided to make this super cute twine hanging to go over it to give the room a little boho style. This tutorial/idea came from Brit+Co and I love it. Really you can do any type of style, but I liked the tassel look. 

I don't really know what I was thinking, cause I didn't take any pictures during the process of making this.. dumb Lindsay. But it is seriously so easy to make that I figured I could still list the steps and it would be easy to follow without pictures. Or you can just follow the Brit+Co tutorial. It has pictures. 

The DIY is awesome cause it only uses 2 things: twine and a dowel! Both of which I got at Home Depot for cheap cheap. 

MATERIALS:
  • 2 rolls of household cotton twine
  • 1 dowel (the ones at Home Depot are long enough for me to cut in half, so I didn't have to buy two of them)  
  • Optional: dye/watercolor/some sort of coloring if you want to dye part of your twine  
STEPS
  1. Cut your dowel in half... or just make 2 dowels the same size- whatever size you want them to be
  2. For the bottom layer, you will use a whole roll of twine. Measure and cut yard long pieces of twine. Yes this takes a while... so put on some Netflix or something. 
  3. Once the twine is cut, fold each piece in half and attach to one of your dowels (once folded, you should have 18 inch long fringe.) I put each piece folded on the dowel and tied a knot at the bottom of the dowel. Repeat till all your twine is gone. (Depending on the size you want this hanging to be, you can use less or more twine- also you can make the pieces longer or shorter obviously... up to you.)
  4. To make the second tassel layer, start cutting yard long pieces of twine from your second roll. You will probably use about half of the roll. 
  5. Take about 20 pieces and cut them into fourths/fifths (depending on how short/long you want the tassels to be- shorter tassels if you cut into fifths) 
  6. Take an extra yard long piece and one of the group of 20 you just cut. Using the yard long piece, tie a knot around the center of the little cluster of twine (so that when you pick up the long piece of twine, the cluster folds in half. 
  7. Now, using either a piece already in the cluster or another little piece of left over twine, tie a knot around the cluster kinda near the top (this is making the tassel). Just let the left over string hang down with the rest of the fringe. 
  8. If you want to add some color to the tassels- now is the time to do so. Pour dye, or watercolor, or maybe food coloring works (idk, but probably it does cause watercolors did) - into a bowl and let your tassels soak in there for 10ish minutes. Pull em out, let them dry and bam- you have pretty colored tassels. 
  9. My hanging has 14 tassels... really you can make as many as you want- but once you have finished that, tie them onto the other dowel in whatever arrangement you like. They can just be in a straight line, or diagonal pattern like mine.. circle... random.. whatever you like. 
  10. Take a piece of yard long string and attach the two dowels together (by tying knots) on each side. This will give you excess string in the middle to hang your hanging. 
  11. Find a blank wall and hang it up! 
 
Hopefully that wasn't too confusing- it's really not hard to make and pretty intuitive when you think about it. But next time I make something I will be sure to document the process cause pictures are just more fun to look at anyway, and I am definitely one of those learners where it really helps for me to actually see what is being talked about. So if this was confusing, sorry. My bad. I will be better next time. But you should try to make this anyway cause it's dang cute. 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment